More than Make Up
“I believe all women are pretty without makeup – but with the right makeup can be pretty powerful.”
What is a Make Up Artist?
A makeup artist uses cosmetics combined with artistic skill to enhance a person’s appearance, bringing out their natural features and hiding flaws. They may also use artistry to create special effect makeup for films, television, fashion and theatre.
There are so many careers you can make out of being a make up artist and here are a few:
- Bridal Make up
- Counter/Shop work for a brand
- special occasion
- Photo shoot/TV/Film/Media/Editorial
- Celebrity Make Up Artist
Setting up your Make Up Business:
Training is key. Get a good foundation of training. Enroll onto a NVQ Level 2 Make Up to gain a basic knowledge in the subject. You can then use your skills to enhance your skills with models, videos, workshops and learning through work experience.
Tips for starting your business:
- Business Cards- give them to everyone
- your own advert- make sure your make up sells
- social media- the biggest and most competitive marketing tool
- before and after pictures- for social media and print
- portfolio of images for potential clients to see
- Pamper nights/events – suitable for make up artists to get your name out there!
Kits/Brands in the industry
There are so many brands and shops out there selling make up, its hard to decide what too choose.
Have a look into brands that offer discount for professionals like MAC, Bobbi Brown and Illamasqua. We also have great links with Bobbi Brown and MAC who offer our students exclusive workshops though our training courses.
Our Tutor Angelique is a professional make up artist and offers great training in our NVQS and diplomas. Working at Urban Decay for over 5 years along with Benefit, she has a wide range of knowledge. If you have anything to ask about the industry shes your girl!